PRICE $1915, plus $240 if additional accilmatisation day required. Additional transfer charge of $120 per vehicle.
This is the longest and most remote route to Kilimanjaro. After beautiful
forests and moorlands it crosses the Shira Plateau to meet up with the Machame
Route. Groups may be accompanied on the first day by an armed ranger as the
forests around the Lemosho Glades are rich in buffalo, elephant and other game.
The South Circuit is then followed, offering superb views of the Southern
Icefields, past the Barranco Hut then on to Barafu and hence the summit.
Descent is by the Mweka Route.
A party wishing to ascend slowly can comfortably take 8 days on this route as
described below. However the campsite at Shira Hut and at Karanga Valley could
be left out by a very strong party on request. Accommodation on the mountain
is in tents which the porters will pitch for you. You will need a sleeping bag,
warm clothes and walking poles. This is a steep, tough trek within the limits
of a fit individual used to walking in mountain areas.
Program with extra acclimatization day
- Arrive Springlands hotel (B&B).
- Drive to Londorossi Park Gate then on to the Lemosho Glades (2100m, 3h.). Walk
along forest trails to Mti Mkubwa (big tree) campsite, (2750m, 3h.).
- The trail steepens and crosses several streams in the giant heather zone. The
Shira Ridge is crossed (3600m) to the Shira Plateau, camp by stream. (3500m, 5
- A gentle walk across the plateau leads to Shira Hut camp on moorland meadows by
a stream (3840m, 1h30min.). A variety of walks are available on the Plateau
making this an excellent acclimatisation day.
- A rocky path leads east up towards the Lava Tower. Shortly beyond this, you
descend to Barranco campsite (3950m, 4-5h.).
- Scramble easily to the top of the Great Barranco and then a traverse over
screes and ridges to the Karanga Valley campsite (3h, 4000m.), beneath the
icefalls of the Southern Glaciers.
- The trail ascends a ridge to a campsite by the Barafu Hut, an airy location
with little vegetation (3h, 4600m.),
- Start just after midnight for the ascent of the screes leading to Stella Point
(6h, 5725m.). From here a further 40mins. leads to Uhuru Peak. Descend to the Barafu Hut for a rest and brunch before continuing down to camp at Mweka Hut at 3100m, (11-14h total walking time).
- A 3-4 hour descent through beautiful forest brings you to the Park Gate.
Drive back to the Springlands Hotel (B&B).
- Leave hotel after breakfast.
YouTube Video |
Driving to Lemosho on a rainy day
Shira 2 camp
Lemosho ascent profile