This is the easiest route to the summit of Kilimanjaro, sometimes called the Coca-Cola Route. The Marangu route takes you at a gentle pace through forests, moorlands and
then across The Saddle, a high-altitude desert separating the main summit, Kibo, 5896m, from craggy
Mawenzi, 5149m, to Kibo Hut. From here an early start is made for the ascent to
Uhuru Point (the highest top of Kibo). The path zig-zags up steep scree which
is easier to climb when frozen. The views from the crater rim at Gillman's
Point at dawn can be spectacular. Uhuru Peak lies a further 1h30min. around the
Accommodation on the mountain is in comfortable huts. You will need a sleeping
bag, warm clothes and walking poles. This is a tough walking trip but within
the limits of a fit individual used to walking in mountain areas. An extra day
for acclimatisation to the altitude is recommended at Horombo from where there
are various walks to enjoy.
Marangu Picture Gallery
Program with extra acclimatization day BOOK NOW
- Arrive Springlands hotel (B&B).
- Drive to Marangu Gate. Walk through the rain forest to Mandara hut (4h, 2743m).
- Leave the forest and cross open moor land to Horombo hut (5h, 3760m).
- Rest and acclimatisation day at Horombo Hut. Day walk to Zebra Rocks or to
- Walk through moorland then across The Saddle to Kibo hut (5h, 4730m).
- Very early start for the summit on steep scree up to Gillman's Point (5h,
5681m), continue to Uhuru Peak (1h30min., 5895m). Descend to Kibo Hut for lunch
rest before descending to Horombo hut (about 13h total walking time).
- Descend to Marangu gate (5h). Drive back to the hotel (B&B).
- Depart after breakfast.
see full map in new window
Kibo from Saddle
Evening at Mandara