PRICE $1675, plus $240 if additional day for acclimatisation is required. Additional transfer charge of $120 per vehicle
This remote and less frequently used route is the second easiest route to Kilimanjaro. The approach to the mountain is from the less-forested north
side and the descent is by the Marangu Route. There are several variations, the
one described below is a longer route taking in Mawenzi Tarn. The second day
on this variant is quite long and could be broken up into two days walk
more time for acclimatisation. The ascent to Uhuru Peak is almost the
for the Marangu Route from the Kibo Hut.
Accommodation on the mountain is in tents (even on descent) which the
will pitch for you. You will need a sleeping
bag, warm clothes and
walking poles. This is a steep, tough trek within the
limits of a fit
individual used to walking in mountain areas.
Program with extra acclimatization day BOOK NOW
- Arrive Springlands hotel (B&B).
- Drive round Kilimanjaro to the Rongai Gate (3-4h, 2100m.). Walk through
rain forest to Camp 1 (4h, 2800m).
- Walk up through giant heathers and moorlands to Camp 2 - near Kikelewa
- Walk towards the jagged pinnacles of Mawenzi and camp by the Mawenzi Tarn
the last section is fairly steep, (4-5h, 4330m).
- Gain The Saddle and walk across this desert of scree to a camp not far from Kibo
- Very early start for the summit on steep scree up to Gillman's Point (5h,
on the crater rim. Continue around the rim to Uhuru Peak (1h30min,
Descend to our camp for brunch and a rest and then walk down to Horombo
Total walking time about 12h.
- Descend to Marangu gate, 5h. Drive back to the hotel (B&B).
- Depart after breakfast.
Kilimanjaro from Moshi
Rongai ascent profile